Accounting and finance are at the very heart of business operations. From banking to manufacturing, from huge service industries to micro businesses, the ability to manage, plan and account for money is still the ultimate measure of business success and the key driver of growth.
Many accountants occupy key managerial positions in business, yet few are qualified managers. In the increasingly complex modern business environment, there is a high demand for skilled professionals who can work flexibly in teams across business boundaries.
The objective of the OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Accounting and Business qualification is to provide learners with the knowledge and skills required by a middle or senior manager in an organisation, and who may be involved in managing organisational finances, investment and risk, audit and assurance, or research.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Accounting and Business qualification, learners must possess:
- Relevant NQF/QCF/RQF Level 5 diploma or equivalent recognised qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 6 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Bachelor’s Degrees with Honours, Bachelor’s Degrees, Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates.
The OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Accounting and Business consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Corporate and Business Law (20 credits)
- Business Performance Measurement (20 credits)
- Financial Securities Markets (20 credits)
- Audit and Assurance (20 credits)
- Business Research Project (20 credits)
- Investment and Risk Management (20 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study, but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of Level 6 Diploma in Accounting and Business qualification provides learners the opportunity for a wide range of academic progressions including progression to relevant OTHM Level 7 Diplomas. This qualification has been developed with career progression and professional recognition in mind. As the Level 6 Diploma in Accounting and Business qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to gain direct entry into relevant Master’s degree programmes.